Wednesday, December 9, 2009

$2.84 - the Worst Cup of Coffee I Ever Had

In an effort to keep warm during this week's blast of cold air, I stopped for a coffee at a local drive thru on my way back to the office from an early morning meeting. A busy local drive thru on the edge of one of our community's most challenged neighborhoods.

The drive thru line was long and I was in a hurry, so I pulled into a parking space to take my chances inside. As I left my car I noticed a young man standing just to the right of the drive thru line. He was near a large panel truck taking up more than one parking space, so I figured perhaps he was there to make sure the line would break and allow the driver the ability to maneuver the truck out of the space. Smart.

Inside, I found a shorter line and a merry staff -- the snow flurries and biting winds were obviously good for business. Folks in front of me were buying breakfast pastries and fancy lattes. A bit of a coffee snob myself, I wasn't sure this place could make a good latte, so I was planning on ordering their version of a red eye -- coffee with a shot of espresso.

I rationalized the extra cost for the espresso was well worth it, paid the $2.84 with my debit card and headed back outside, hot drink in hand.

Before I got back to the car I heard someone call 'ma'am, excuse me ma'am'. I hate being called ma'am -- that's my mom, not me. But I turned and found it was the boy by the truck calling me.

'I hate to bother you, but could you spare any change? I'd like a cup of coffee.'

Ten different thoughts ran through my head as I formulated my reply: He must be cold. Oh, he's not with the truck. Wow, smart place to seek spare change. I don't have any change. I could tell him to call 2-1-1. If he has a phone?

That was probably the worst cup of coffee I ever had.

United Way 211 reached 100,000 calls from folks in Greater Cincinnati just a few weeks back. That's more than ever in one year and the year's not over yet. Help with food, shelter, utility assistance -- it's all just a call away. Or check out the resources online at www.uwgc.org/211

No comments:

Post a Comment