Monday, April 4, 2011

LIVE UNITED for Leadership

One person can make a difference.

It's a trite idea but something that I grabbed on to when I was younger. Between my parents, some inspirational mentors and committed teachers, I managed to develop the belief that I hold the power to make change.

It seems I am not the only one who believes this.

Sunday afternoon brought with it the amazing opportunity for me to speak to some students involved with Leadership Scholars. I was invited to serve as a panelist to discuss my involvement in the community and why I remain dedicated to the cause.

It's an easy thing for me to talk about. I've always been a "joiner," especially if the end goal is to make a difference.

About 50 high schoolers from around Greater Cincinnati joined us to hear from myself and two other panelsts about how we've developed to aspire to leadership, beginning with our respective service endeavors as young people.

The students asked us about significant milestones in our past, what we hope to accomplish in our future, and some of the biggest obstacles we've faced as we've traveled the path of service.

There are so many young people in our community seeking opportunities to learn more, do more and experience more. For those of us farther along the path, we have an obligation to raise up these young people, encourage them and give them the tools they need so they can carry on with our work in the future.

Sunday's forum gave me a much-needed reality check and inspired me to consider how I'm engaged with the community. I left asking myself How can I make the biggest impact? How can I help shape tomorrow's leaders? How can I leave a lasting legacy on the future?

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment