Monday, August 31, 2009

Groceries and More.

I'm not a good grocery shopper. It's one of my least favorite chores. I decided to change things up a bit recently and visit a larger store in an entirely different neighborhood.

It's a neighborhood known for its vibrancy, for the young professionals who call it home. So I was sort of surprised to share the aisles with a very different demographic.

Let's call them seniors. Better yet, let's call them independent seniors, because that's without a doubt what they were.

Shopping. Chatting. Patiently waiting for their bus or other ride. Going about the same weekly chore I was.

More than a few of my fellow shoppers no doubt could share a story of how United Way touches their lives.

They may spend the occasional afternoon at a local United Way-supported senior program, socializing with friends and sharing memories.

Or they may receive transportation to and from doctor's visits.

Little things that go a long way toward helping older adults maintain independence and a good quality of life.

By the time I left the store, I'd found a whole new layer of vibrancy in that neighborhood. And for me, a good reminder of why I'm Living United.

No comments:

Post a Comment