Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Wear It On The Inside

Someone just made a comment about my four inch heels.

She was struck by how tall I appeared today - with these babies on, I hit just about 6'. I have no idea why I was compelled to wear a skirt and heels this morning - maybe it's the spectacular summer weather or a desire to put the pants on pause. Whatever the reason, I'm a little bit more dressed up than usual.

Black skirt. Black top. Long, flowing fushia scarf. A sparkly pendant around my neck.


What you don't see is my LIVE UNITED shirt.

Every day, I wear my LIVE UNITED shirt on the inside. Whether in jeans and a T or my little black dress, I am always committed to giving my time and talents to help others.

I'll be wearing my LIVE UNITED shirt tomorrow while volunteering at an event benefitting the Cincinnati Parks District. Granted, I'll really be wearing black pants and a white button down shirt, but inside, I'll know I'm doing something to make this community a little better.

Cincinnati's parks are a treasure, and I am glad I have a chance to give them a bit of my time.

A couple weeks ago I really did wear my LIVE UNITED shirt while volunteering at a United Way agency partner. I joined other members of United Way's
Emerging Leaders' Society to sort and fold clothes for the agency's Clothing Closet. The store helps people buy gently worn clothing at a significant discount, funneling more money back into the agency.

Good wardrobe basics can carry a hefty price, and I am jazzed my time will help someone else fill their closet affordably.

Next week, as I put on a nice pair of slacks and a blouse to volunteer for a local women's organization, no one will see my LIVE UNITED shirt - but I'll be wearing it on the inside. The organization is committed to training and development for its members, as well as supporting programs that assist women and children.

I love being a part of something that I know is making a difference in Greater Cincinnati, as well as preparing me for leadership opportunities in the years ahead.

Today I'm wearing a skirt and heels.

Tomorrow? Maybe jeans.

But next time you see me, look a little more closely. You just might see my LIVE UNITED t-shirt, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment